Luxury Motorhome and Campervan Hire
Call Free: 0333 200 1663



Rates & Conditions

  • All prices quoted are in Pounds Sterling (GBP)
  • A discounted lower price can be obtained if the full hire cost is paid at the time of booking.  Choose ‘pay in full now’ at time of booking.
  • There is an option to pay in 2 instalments – 50% at time of booking and 50% 4 weeks before the hire commences. Please choose ‘pay by instalments’ at time of booking.

Documents required to hire the vehicle

UK Hirers

  • Your photocard driving licence, along with a print out of your driver record. You can get this from the DVLA, read here for more information.
  • Proof of address/ID: e.g. council tax bill, bank statement and/or a utility bill, (gas or electric are fine, but not mobile phone).  Please note that they MUST be originals, in your name as it appears on your driving licence and dated within 8 weeks from motorhome collection date.
  • Credit or debit card in your name and registered to your home address for security deposit.

Non UK Hirers

  • Driving licence.
  • Passport or Photographic Identification Card.
  • Credit or debit card in your name and registered to your home address for security deposit.

Driver Requirements

  • You will need to be aged between 25 and 75 at the time of the hire. Our insurers will consider drivers out with these parameters however each case is considered on an individual basis so therefore we would need you to contact us prior to making an on-line booking. Please note: you must have driven for a minimum period of 2 years with no convictions.
  • Holds a full UK driving licence.  We are also able to accept driving licences from EU, USA, Canada, Singapore, Australia and New Zealand.
  • Licence holders from out with the UK or out with the countries listed above should contact us prior to booking online.
  • Must have held a driving licence for more than a 3-year period.
  • Any motoring accidents in last 2 years should be reported to us prior to booking. Only book after written approval has been received.
  • Maximum 6 points on a UK licence
  • See section 5 in ‘terms and conditions’ for more detailed info regarding health requirements

What if I break down?

Breakdown cover is included in all vehicle hires as standard.

What kind of things are not covered by the standard insurance?

See section 16 in ‘terms and conditions’ for full exclusions.

  • Damage to tyres and/or puncture repairs
  • Damage or theft to your own property
  • Damage to windows or windscreens
  • Damage caused to the vehicle above cab height (6 feet from the ground)
  • Damage to the interior of the vehicle
  • Damage caused by a reversing manoeuvre
  • Damage to rear bumpers, rear light clusters

We recommend that you take out additional travel insurance, as you may be able to claim against it for such exclusions should the need arise.

Security Deposit

The security deposit covers the cost of any damage that has occurred to the vehicle whilst it has been on-hire. Should the damage exceed the level of security deposit then any amounts above this threshold will be covered by the insurance policy. Some people liken the security deposit to an excess amount on an insurance policy. Ultimately your financial exposure will be no more than the security deposit.

What are the levels of security deposit?

The standard insurance policy has a security deposit of £1,250 GBP excluding the following vehicles:

Prices of vehicle hire quoted include this level as standard.

Where can I go?

Anywhere within the UK or mainland Europe (please advise in advance if intending to tour out with the UK).

Do I have to stay in Scotland?

No, please see above.

Can I take my motorhome on a ferry?

Yes, but please remember to check and book in advance with the ferry operator. You will need to know the dimensions of the motorhome for any ferry bookings. Dimensions for our vehicles can be found on the Specifications tab of each vehicle description page.

What do I do with my car while I’m on holiday?

We have a secure car park where you can leave your own car. Please let us know in advance if you wish to take advantage of this.

How can I pick up my motorhome?

We can collect you from any airport, train station or bus station within Edinburgh or Glasgow for a small fee. If you are driving, you can leave your car in our secure car park for the duration of your hire. Please let us know what arrangement suits you.

Is there a minimum hire period?

The minimum hire period is 3 nights & 4 days.

What if I need to cancel my booking?

Please see our cancellation policy contained within our ‘Terms and Conditions’ section 6.

Can I bring my pet?

Of course. Our Bailey Approach Advance 640 (4 Berth) and Bailey Approach Advance 665 (6 Berth) is dedicated to pet owners who would like to bring their dog so please select this vehicle when booking.

Can I smoke in the motorhome?

No, smoking is not permitted in any of our vehicles.

What can I run on the leisure battery?

  • When the motorhome is connected to a mains power supply, almost anything.
  • When the motorhome is not connected to a mains power supply, all the equipment contained within the vehicle will work, i.e. hot water, central heating, fridge/freezer, lights, cooker and microwave. However, anything that requires 240v will not work, i.e.  hairdryers, hair straighteners, toasters etc.
  • If you want to wild camp away from a mains electricity supply, we can provide hi-powered generators. Please select this as an optional extra when booking.

Do your motorhomes have toilets and showers?

All our motorhomes have chemical toilets and hi-powered showers.

What if I run out of gas?

We supply a full/partially full gas cylinder as part of your hire and can provide another should you feel that you need it. In the unlikely event that you do run out, they are readily available from a variety of stockists.

Are the motorhomes ok to use in winter?

All our motorhomes are fully winterised and insulated. All vehicles have central heating so can be used all year round.

Can I plug in my iPod/MP3

Yes, all our motorhomes have USB connections.

How can I charge my phone?

Either via a USB or as you would normally at home via the plug socket and charger. Please be aware that plug sockets require connection to 240v mains supply.

Where can I store my bike?

All of our motorhomes have bicycle racks fitted which can accommodate 4 bikes. We also hire box trailers which you can tow behind the motorhome, licence permitting and you could store your bike or bikes in that.

How do I cook?

All our motorhomes have a 3 burner gas hob, an oven, microwave and a fridge so cooking is similar to your own home kitchen. Kitchen utensils, crockery, cutlery etc. are all provided as standard.

How easy is it to set the beds up?

This depends on which motorhome you hire. Some have fixed beds which require no set up at all; others have electric beds which operate at the touch of a button, and some have beds that are made up from the lounge/living area. All options are simple to assemble and we will cover bed set up with your during your vehicle orientation at the start of your hire. We’re also only a phone call away should you forget!